As part of our wireless headphone series, we thought we would review Plantronics Wireless Noise Cancelling headphones to see if they are up to standard. They have received a lot of praise in recent times, and many consider them to be a cheaper option instead of shelling out a lot of money for Bose headphones.
Some of the features of these headphones include…
- Audio quality: immersive, high-res sound, and powerful speaker drivers deliver the right balance of rich bass, crisp highs, and natural mid-tones for your music
- Active Noise Cancelling (ANC): Switch on active noise cancelling (ANC) to minimize ambient noise while working or traveling
- 24-Hour streaming/ listen Longer: enjoy up to 24 hours of wireless music, movies and calls before choosing the cabled Connection or recharging.
- Wireless freedom: stream rich, lifelike Audio up to 100 meters/330 feet away from your class 1 Bluetooth smartphone or tablet
- Travel sleeve: ear cups swivel flat to slip into the protective nylon travel sleeve; Frequency response: 20–20,000 Hz
As well as they functions, you can…
- Enjoy rich bass, crisp highs, and natural mid-tones with Plantronics signature audio
- Play up to 24 hours of music, movies, and calls on a single charge
- Stream audio up to 100 meters /330 feet from Class 1 Bluetooth devices
- Use open-listening mode to hear your surroundings with your headphones still on
- Connect two devices at the same time and switch seamlessly between them.
On-demand Active Noise Cancelling
Silence the world around you with on-demand active noise cancelling at the touch of a button.
Rich, Immersive Audio
Escape with Plantronics signature audio for crisp high notes and rich, deep bass.
Smart sensors pause your music automatically when you remove your headphones and then resume playback when you put them back on.
24 hour Battery Power
You’re free to listen or talk continuously for up to 24 hours on a single charge.
I tried Bose, Beats, Plantronics BackBeat Pro (the first version of this line), Sony, and a few more. I never got precisely what I want. Finally, I decided on the Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2. Here’s what I like about them:
1. Price is $100-150 cheaper than competitive headphones for what appears to be similar quality and features.
2. Multipoint Bluetooth connectivity allows me to connect to my iPhone and TV at the same time. So you can listen to your main device for music or TV, but still able to answer your phone without taking off the headphones.
3. Extremely comfortable. The earpods and headband have some very nice cushioning. I have worn these things for 4-5 hours without any complaints from my ears or head.
4. Noise cancellation. I’m not a big fan of noise cancellation, since I’m just in my house, which is mostly quiet. But I can turn the noise cancellation off, and get great realistic sound. But if I need NC, I’ve got it with a flip of a switch.
5. Controls are large and intuitive. It’s easy to answer the phone, forward to the next song in a playlist, or pause. The volume controls aren’t quite as intuitive, but figuring it out was easy.
6. Bluetooth connectivity to my Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iMac and Amazon Fire TV was fast and solid.
7. With the caveat that I’m not a music aficionado, the sound quality was amazing. There was good deep, but not annoying, base, crisp mids, and sweet highs. I could hear the lyrics of most songs like someone was speaking to me face to face. The bass was just perfect for a wide range of songs, but I know that some people love the Beats bass, and this isn’t that.
8. Fit and finish is top of the class. It’s well constructed with a lot of texture, and solid feel to all of the parts. The switches have excellent feedback, so you know when you’re engaging them. This headphone can match the quality of any competitors, even ones that are $200 more!