Smart virtual assistants are fast becoming the must have product for 2017. With some industry heavyweights such as Amazon ploughing millions into the development of these devices, it is little wonder why many consumers are actively looking to buy these assistants. But what is the best smart virtual assistant for sale at the moment? We thought we’d take a look at Alexa from Amazon, as we think this is the best device for sale at the moment.
Why is Alexa the Best Smart Virtual Assistant?
The name of Amazon’s virtual assistant is Alexa, which can be used with an enabled device such as the Echo. Apple has “Siri”, so “Alexa” is in effect the Amazon equivalent. Alexa is an assistant where you can ask questions that you need answers to. For example, you could ask Alexa what the weather is going to be like today in your city, and it will respond with a weather forecast.
Each time you ask Alexa a question, what you are actually doing is asking Amazon’s cloud service a question. In order to make this process as seamless as possible, Amazon have created an AVS, which stands for “Alex Voice Service”. In reality, each time you say “Alexa”, it awakes the system ready to compute your input.
Using Alexa requires a device such as the Echo to use it with. Other devices which you can use Alexa with include the Dot and Tap. Other companies are making use of Alexa’s technology with their own innovative products. For example, car maker Ford said that some of its newest models will integrate and make use of the Amazon smart assistant system.
As more and more people use the technology, it is thought other companies will then integrate the technology into their own products.
What Else Can Alexa Do?
As of March 2017, Alexa can process over three thousand different commands that a user may initiate. For a full and comprehensive list of these abilities, we’d recommend you check out what is called the “Skills Marketplace”. Because there is so many abilities to list, we thought we’d pull out some examples of what the device can do:
- An app called “All Recipes” can be used with Alexa. You can ask Alexa to look for a recipe, and it will give step by step instructions as you complete each step whilst cooking. Very neat!
- It can be used with certain types of vacuum cleaners, so you can tell the cleaner to clean your floor.
- For kindle users, it can read out a book to you.
- You can even ask it to get some pizza from a local takeaway.
- Oh, and it can even pay your bills for you. This currently only happens with Capital One banking customers.
- For the most hardened Amazon fan, you can even ask it to see where your latest order is.
- If you want to find out new things Alexa can do, just ask the system “What’s new with you?”, and it will give you a run down of the new features.